Friday, June 22, 2012

I Knew It Was Going To Happen... Blog Dare 2012




I POPPED my sons arm out of the socket. It's his favorite story to tell and I am 89% sure he will hold it against me for the rest of his life.

He was two, and like all two year olds ( At least the ones I know? ) he loved to be swung around and tossed. We had this game we would play, I would grab him by the feet and swing him back and forth upside down the *gently* toss him on the couch. He LOVED it. We would do this repetitively for,
what seemed like hours, him giggling so hard, insisting I do it again.

One day, after a while he wanted me to grab an arm and a leg. As soon as I did, I knew it was going to happen. But it was too late. I heard the distinct pop. His eyes got really big and he SCREAMED. Not because it hurt, but because I was freaking out. I ran around like a chicken, getting him dressed as gently as I could, calling my mom and my husband, wondering if I should just have my mom pop it back in or take him to the emergency room.

At the emergency room, I was given the young mom treatment and was told it was nothing but a sprain even after I insisted that it is out of the socket. Four x-rays later and an a**-hole of a doctor, I was sent home. My mom and I went back a few hours later and insisted someone else take a look at it. The doctor told us that is out of the question to drag someone else down in the middle of the night. So we went home again and at this point 8 hours after it happened it could do more harm than good to have my mom pop it back in.

The next morning I went in a third time, as my son could still NOT USE HIS ARM. The doctor was wonderful and within seconds his arm was back in the socket. Poor baby had to wear a t splint for two weeks to keep it in place because it was out for so long. That was the last time I have ever swung a kid by their arm.

No comments: