Monday, January 10, 2011

Whirlwind Birth


                                                   Baby Z 1/6/11 4#12OZ 18 1/4" Long

I have spent the past few day's at my close friends side, helping her through what has to be one of the hardest things that she will experience. She has graciously aloud my to write about this on my blog.

Thursday morning I received a call from her letting me know Baby Z had not been moving for quite a while and it is time to go to the hospital. At this point in time she was 37 weeks pregnant with Baby Z. After about an hour of monitering at the OB office with no raising or falling of the heartbeat, the DR. did an ultrasound. No movement from Baby Z, just a steady heartbeat. The DR. then decided to send us to Labor&Delivery at the hospital for further monitering. Within minutes of arriving at the hospital, Baby Z's heart dipped low and took a while to raise back up. The nurse took a look at the moniter and said "It looks like we are going to have a baby today".

A few seconds later, T was rushed into the the OR for her C-Section. It was now an emergency to get Baby Z out. After I got my scrubs on, the nurse usherred me into the room. Immediatly after I had sat down by her side, T started SCREAMING that it HURT! I was thrown out of the OR, and just stood on the other side of the doors, helpless listening to her scream. When Baby Z was born, they let me back into the room, where she was laying there shaking and crying. The whole room was pretty shaken up.

Come to find out Baby Z had turned and jumped so much, that his umbelical cord had tied in two knots, and had twisted around his neck and body. He was born blue, but quickly pinked up and got great apgar scores for a preemie size baby. Upon entrance into this world, he was 4 pounds 12 ounces and 18 and a 1/4 inches long.

Mommy & Baby Z are doing great, and hope that he will be released soon. He has had a few "blue spells" and the docters are all saying if he can go on three day's with heart rate and respitory doing fine, then he can come home.

The docters are confused as to how far along T really was. if she was really 37 weeks along, then Baby Z should have been bigger. There are two possibilities, she was in fact 37 weeks along, but the knots had been there for a while or they had screwed up the ultrasound dating by at least two weeks, making her 35 weeks along. Which would make his size more apropriate.

I don't know. I am still freaked out by this whole ordeal, and I can't imagine her NOT having PTSD.


No comments: